Friday, April 10, 2009

hooray for easter eggs!

We did it! L and I dyed Easter eggs using red cabbage, red onion skins, and beets! (oh the smell...I'm sure you can imagine) It was so much fun and the colors were so unexpected.

First we cut up veggies and boiled them for 30 minutes. (I used just enough water to cover the vegetables) Strain and add vinegar. (I guessed, maybe 1 Tablespoon to 1 cup of dye)


This was the result of red cabbage dye. The 2 on the left were boiled in the cabbage, the 2 on the right soaked in the dye for an hour or so.

These are the products of beets! The one on the left was a brown egg to begin with. The yellow was boiled with the beets before vinegar was added (wow, that was a surprise) and the last three were soaked in the dye for 15 minutes.

This beauty was dyed in the red onion leaves. I love the earthy color.

L was in science heaven, I was in L heaven, and now we have a beautiful centerpiece for Easter!








1 comment: